Like Buy Share View in Room Title Express Engines at Tyseley Artist Terence Cuneo Ref GM1171 Type Fine Art Print Image Size 24" x 16" (60 x 40 cm) Paper Size 28" x 20" (70 x 50 cm) Price $200.00 £120.00 $200.00 €210.00 Add to basket Description This painting depicts the depot in Tyseley, England which opened as an operational steam depot in July 1908. On the west side of the shed, there was a large repair shop (known as 'the factory') and this was equipped with heavy lifting gear, an electric traverser for moving locomotives between workshop ‘roads’, and various smiths’ shops. The east roundhouse catered for passenger engines, whilst the west one catered for goods engines. Initially 72 engines were based at Tyseley. Most of these were smaller types and were used for goods duties, local passenger work and some express work. Tyseley’s existence owed a lot to the opening of the North Warwickshire Line in 1908, which gave a more direct route between Tyseley South Junction and Bearley leading on to Stratford, Cheltenham, Gloucester, Bristol, South Wales and the West Country. Much remained the same until changes following the BR Modernisation Plan on 1955. Diesel multiple units (DMUs) were introduced on the Birmingham area suburban and local services operated BR’s Western Region (the successor to the GWR). A new DMU depot and office block was built on the extreme west of the site. The freight roundhouse was closed in 1963. In 1964 the GWR works (the factory) was demolished and new Diesel Repair facilities were built. On 1st July 2008, Tyseley can justifiably claim to have been an active steam depot continuously for 100 years.