Like Buy Share View in Room Title Chateau Palmer Artist Andras Kaldor Ref GM603 Type Fine Art Print Image Size 20" x 20" (50 x 50 cm) Paper Size 20" x 20" (50 x 50 cm) Price $160.00 £96.00 $160.00 €168.00 Add to basket Description Chateau Palmer is one of a number of third growth properties located in Margaux, in the Médoc region of France. The chateau itself was built in 1856 for the brothers Isaac and Emile Péreire and designed by the architect Charles Burguet, who was also responsible for a number of other major projects in Bordeaux. The estate’s origins lay with General Charles Palmer, who arrived in France with the future Duke of Wellington in 1814 after the Peninsula War between Napoleon’s France and England. Charles Palmer had been an aide-de-camp to the Prince Regent, later King George IV, and he fell under the charms of Bordeaux as well, according to legend, as those of Marie de Gascq, a beautiful French widow who apparently persuaded him to buy her estate, which covered 163 hectares, including 82 hectares of vines. Although Palmer lived mainly in England, his new estate was well-managed by a local agent and was eventually sold to the Péreire banking family after Palmer’s death in 1851. The estate has an outstanding terroir and now farms 52 hectares of vines, split roughly between Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, with a small proportion of Petit Verdot.