Like Buy Share View in Room Title Chateau Latour Artist Raymond Campbell Ref GM558 Type Fine Art Print Image Size 8" x 16" (20 x 40 cm) Paper Size 12" x 20" (30 x 50 cm) Price $140.00 £84.00 $140.00 €147.00 Add to basket Description Chateau Latour lies at the very south-eastern tip of the commune of Pauillac in the Médoc region of the north west of Bordeaux, near to the border with Saint Julien and very close to the banks of the Gironde estuary. Under the famous 1855 Bordeaux classification, Chateau Latour was rated as a First Growth. The greatest of its three red wines is its Grand Vin; the two lesser wines are Les Forts de Latour and a third wine, known as Pauillac. Latour’s name is thought to derive from a circular tower (La Tour de Saint-Lambert), which was built on the estate in the 1620s, originally designed as a pigeon roost. Latour’s reputation as a vineyard originated in the late 17th century, when it was inherited by Alexandre de Ségur, who also acquired Chateau Lafite in 1716. His son acquired Chateau Mouton and Chateau Calon-Ségur in 1718, and the reputation of the estate for producing wines of great quality was gradually established. Only four First Growths were classified in 1855 and the present chateau was built in the 1860s. The Ségur family finally sold the estate in the 1960s, which eventually returned to French ownership in 1993 when acquired by businessman François Pinault. The estate covers 78 hectares and grows principally Cabernet Sauvignon, with the balance representing 18% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Around 18,000 cases of Grand Vin are produced each year.